Incumbents stand for local elections
Yesterday saw the end of the week-long period during which those wishing to stand for election as Representative at the end of the month could announce that they would be doing so.
In each of the ten Towns of Austenasia, the incumbent Representative or Acting Representative was the only person who announced that they would be standing.
This scenario was not unexpected. On Twitter, Emperor Jonathan I wrote that the nation-wide lack of competition for the office of Representative showed “local elections every five years makes far more sense than every two years”, referring to one of the constitutional amendments that will also be voted on at the end of the month.
As only a single candidate is standing in each Town, voters will have the option to cast an Abstain vote under the terms of an Imperial Edict passed in 2013. Should there be more votes to abstain than for the candidate in any Town, a new vote will be called for that Town in which more people will be encouraged to stand.
The candidates for each Town are as follows:
- Wrythe: HIM Emperor Jonathan I
- Zephyria: Lord Marshal William K., Baron of Zephyria
- Thanasia: HIH Eritoshi, Countess of Memphis
- Palasia: Lord John Gordon, Baron of Zephyria
- Lichtenstein: Lord Charles Clarke, Duke of Grantabridge
- Porthbokon: Lady Evren Filgert, Duchess of Dumnonia
- New Richmond: HIH Lord Admiral Joseph Kennedy, Count of Greater Richmond
- Shineshore: Lord Rear Admiral Alastair Cranston, Duke of New Virginia
- Terentia: Lord Vice Admiral Eren (formerly Jacob) Lewis, Baron of Terentia
- Harenfall: Lord Sivert MacLean, Duke of Redcaster