The Principality of Wildflower Meadows annexed yet more land yesterday, following expansions in October and November last year.
A strip of land connecting its three largest territories was claimed by Princess Hannah yesterday afternoon, with the approval of Emperor Jonathan I.
Maybridge, as the new county has been named, consists of two areas of land on either side of the River Dee, connected by the Queen’s Park Bridge.
While the northern area includes historical landmarks such as a Roman amphitheatre and the ruins of the city’s original cathedral, the area south of the river consists mainly of residential properties.
The new land claim connects the county of Grosvenor Park to the two duchies of Deva Victrix and Chester Meadows, the latter two being the original land claim of the Principality.
A map of the three territories now connected by Maybridge (the new claim in red) can be seen here.
A meeting of Terentia Town Council earlier today legalised the consumption of cannabis in the town.
Since the passing of the Drugs Acts 2015, illegal drugs have been classified as either Class A or Class B. Local authorities are permitted to legalise Class B drugs, which otherwise by default are illegal.
Cannabis, a Class B drug, has also been legalised in the towns of Palasia since September 2015 and New Richmond since April 2016.
The meeting of Terentia Town Council discussed a minimum age limit, but eventually decided against the measure, legalising cannabis completely.
The extended Imperial Family yesterday embarked on their annual New Year’s walk on Wimbledon Common, classified as an Imperial Geographical Society expedition under new rules for the organisation.
In an Imperial Edict, Emperor Jonathan I laid out rules for the Imperial Geographical Society (IGS) in regards to its structure and the launching of expeditions.
Any excursion in which two or more IGS members are partaking may be made an official IGS expedition after obtaining authorisation from the Director of the IGS.
Yesterday’s walk, led by Lord Michael, was designated an IGS expedition with four of the eight taking part being members of the society.
It is traditional for the immediate Imperial Family to have a walk on Wimbledon Common with the Boxalls (the family of Emperor Mother Margaret) on New Year’s Day, with the walk moved to 2nd January should the 1st be a Sunday.
The expedition first explored woodland north of the famous Wimbledon Common Windmill, passing by the Queensmere and Kingsmere ponds, and then traversed the golf course and woodland south of the windmill.
In the Imperial Edict, Jonathan I also directed that IGS expeditions “must do everything that is reasonably possible to refrain from damaging the natural environment”.
The Imperial Geographical Society was founded in 2009. Yesterday’s expedition was the fifteenth since its foundation, and the third to Wimbledon Common.
His Imperial Highness Lord Admiral Joseph Kennedy as Prime Minister of Austenasia has declared 2017 to be the year of the consulship of Adam Rex and Victoria Hathawia Comitessa Sidneae.
The two Consuls of Austenasia are the Empire’s highest judicial authorities, with the duty of passing sentence on convicted criminals. However, with Austenasia’s incredibly low crime rate, the office serves mostly as a ceremonial honour, with the two Consuls giving their names to the year in legislation and other various formal situations.
Lord Admiral Kennedy has appointed as 2017’s consuls King Adam I of Überstadt, Governing Commissioner of Oregonia and long-standing friend of the Empire, and Victoria Hathaway, Countess of Sidney and the Lord Admiral’s romantic partner.
Happy New Year from the Austenasian Times!
- On 19 December, the Delveran Ministry of State released a document claiming some half a million square miles of the United States of America around their territorial claims as a “sphere on influence” in which they claimed to have exclusive rights to cultural, military, political, and economic development and expansion along with the US, to the exclusion of any other small nations that may arise.
- On 23 December, King Eran passed a decree ordering the foreign ministry “to resume and expand the diplomatic efforts” of Florenia.
- On 20 December, the state owned media service Scânteia was transitioned into an independent news agency, Telenot, funded but not administered by the government. Reforms were also made to the nation’s public broadcasting service.
- On 21 December, the five citizens of Sandus unanimously voted for the Sôgmô’s reign to continue in the annual solstice election.
- Earlier today, Sôgmô Soergel added two new days to the already famously busy Sandum calendar; African Diaspora Recognition Day on 12 February to reflect on the effects of slavery and imperialism on African people around the world, and Religious Tolerance Day on 24 August to reflect on religious violence.
- On 26 December, Vikesland was hit by a snowstorm which blocked the roads into the small country.
- On 25 December, Princess Hannah appointed her sister, the now Lady Stephanie, as Marchioness of Wandleside, the most recent territorial acquisition of Wildflower Meadows. Two days later, the neighbouring UK had set up security cameras around the Marquessate, although whether or not this was in response to the claim is yet to be seen.
Emperor Jonathan I and Princess Consort Hannah yesterday held an engagement party in Wallington.
The couple had announced that they had become engaged to be married on 5 September earlier this year.
The party was held at the Trinity Centre in Wallington.
Emperor Father Terry led the toasts towards the end of the night, and a large buffet was available.
The party was attended by the entire population of Greater Wrythe, members and friends of the extended Imperial Family, family and friends of the Princess Consort, and dignitaries such as the ex-Emperor Esmond III and Wildflowerian nobility.
Christmas has been celebrated by the extended Austenasian Imperial Family over the past few days.
Christmas Day (Sunday 25th) begun with the immediate Imperial Family opening presents in Parliament Hall, then joining the population of Zephyria and the Boxall family (the relatives of Emperor Mother Margaret) for a morning service at Carshalton Methodist Church. Emperor Jonathan I spent the rest of the day with his fiancée Princess Consort Hannah at her house, while the rest of the Imperial Family spent the day at the Boxalls’ house.
Emperor Jonathan I released his Christmas broadcast on YouTube, which can be heard here.
On Boxing Day (Monday 26th), the Imperial Family hosted the Boxalls and Princess Consort Hannah in the Imperial Residence for the afternoon and evening. A buffet was provided and parlour games enjoyed.
Finally, yesterday (Tuesday 27th), the Princess Consort again joined the Imperial Family as they hosted the Allens, family friends of the Imperial Family, for an evening meal.
The Austenasian Times hopes all its readers have had a Merry Christmas, and wishes you all a happy 2017.