- On 24 January, Dictator for Life Travis McHenry – who formerly served as King Montague I from 2009 to 2014 – resigned as Calsahara’s head of government. The Calsarahan government is now entirely in the hands of McHenry’s son, King Nicholas. McHenry remains a Calsaharan military officer and webmaster of the nation’s website.
- On 19 January, it was announced that a new Delveran colony founded in the American southwest had experienced success with crop growing.
GRAND UNIFIED MICRONATIONAL
- 2 January saw the first Quorum of the new Chairman, King Adam I of Überstadt. Thomas Merrell of Zenrax was appointed Vice Chair, Bradley of Dullahan as Chief Justice, and Emperor Jonathan I as Archivist.
- After three years of relative diplomatic inactivity, Juclandia has announced that it will “take her head out of the sand” and engage with the international community of small nations, partially in an attempt to help combat a perceived drift towards far-right and far-left politics; “our culture, our values and our principles can help others moderate their own discourse”.
- In the third week of January, Lord Spiritual Richard of Mercia and Sôgmô Will Soergel of Sandus met in Reykjavík, Iceland. The two leaders discussed matters of national importance and toured the local area.
- A new information sign has been erected at the Molossian border with the US. Previously, information brochures were available for passers-by to take, but these would often run out.
- On 26 January, President Baugh of Molossia announced the construction of a Friendship Gateway in a symbolic gesture of opposition to plans for a US-Mexico border wall. The gateway is “to symbolise inclusiveness and openness”, and donors who buy a brick for the gate will have their names inscribed on a plaque.
- On 25 January, the Principality of Ongal issued its first gold currency, golden Dukats made of 14 carat gold. The coins were issued in celebation of the marriage of a princess in the ruling family.
A treaty of mutual recognition and national co-operation was signed yesterday by Emperor Jonathan I with Grand Duke Travis of Westarctica.
The Grand Duchy of Westarctica was founded in 2001, and claims a large part of western Antarctica, which was previously unclaimed by any state or nation.
Austenasia previously recognised Westarctica between 2009 and 2010, but withdrew recognition after the temporary collapse of the Westarctican government. Since then, however, Westarctica has been restored to activity by its founder, and in February 2015 gained non-consultative status with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
The Empire resumed recognition of Westarctica earlier this week, upon which negotiations for the treaty immediately begun. A signed copy of the treaty has been deposited in the Imperial Library.