- On 9 February, Florenia expanded for the first time in its nearly six-year history. King Eran I annexed his personal residence – which until now had been in the United States of America – as the Dominion of Lexington. Afula, which prior to this was Florenia’s only land claim, remains the nation’s capital.
- On 10 February, James von Puchow as Chief Minister of Landashir released a declaration ceding Landashir’s final land claim – a residential property now in the UK – and having it assume the status of a non-territorial nation as opposed to a nation-state. From now on, Landashir’s government “shall operate as a general council of all registered Landashir’n nationals.”
- On 12 February, the Molossian Navy conducted a weapons test, successfully launching two rockets from a newly acquired RC1 Rocket Cannon.
- Princess Hannah celebrated her 21st birthday on 27 February with a meal and drinks out with her fiancé Emperor Jonathan I and several friends from the University of Chester.
- Zealandia, while well-known for its frequent changes of governmental system, has always retained its actual name; that is, until now. The country has changed its name to Uskor after the results of a referendum were announced on 24 February. Charlotte Lindstrom, founder of the nation and its paramount leader throughout its history, was sworn in as Chairwoman of Uskor on 27 February.
- On 24 January, Dictator for Life Travis McHenry – who formerly served as King Montague I from 2009 to 2014 – resigned as Calsahara’s head of government. The Calsarahan government is now entirely in the hands of McHenry’s son, King Nicholas. McHenry remains a Calsaharan military officer and webmaster of the nation’s website.
- On 19 January, it was announced that a new Delveran colony founded in the American southwest had experienced success with crop growing.
GRAND UNIFIED MICRONATIONAL
- 2 January saw the first Quorum of the new Chairman, King Adam I of Überstadt. Thomas Merrell of Zenrax was appointed Vice Chair, Bradley of Dullahan as Chief Justice, and Emperor Jonathan I as Archivist.
- After three years of relative diplomatic inactivity, Juclandia has announced that it will “take her head out of the sand” and engage with the international community of small nations, partially in an attempt to help combat a perceived drift towards far-right and far-left politics; “our culture, our values and our principles can help others moderate their own discourse”.
- In the third week of January, Lord Spiritual Richard of Mercia and Sôgmô Will Soergel of Sandus met in Reykjavík, Iceland. The two leaders discussed matters of national importance and toured the local area.
- A new information sign has been erected at the Molossian border with the US. Previously, information brochures were available for passers-by to take, but these would often run out.
- On 26 January, President Baugh of Molossia announced the construction of a Friendship Gateway in a symbolic gesture of opposition to plans for a US-Mexico border wall. The gateway is “to symbolise inclusiveness and openness”, and donors who buy a brick for the gate will have their names inscribed on a plaque.
- On 25 January, the Principality of Ongal issued its first gold currency, golden Dukats made of 14 carat gold. The coins were issued in celebation of the marriage of a princess in the ruling family.
- On 4 November, Flandrensis announced its withdrawal from the Antarctic Micronational Union, an organisation it founded in 2008 which has been hugely successful in regulating the territorial claims by various small countries and micronations to land in Antarctica. Grand Duke Niels I explained his decision by stating the AMU had “almost no interest in the ecological problems of today”. However, AMU Administrative-General Yaroslav Mar disputed this, publishing an e-mail in which he had offered the Grand Duke the chance to draft a new, more ecologically-focused charter for the organisation.
- On 25 November, King Eran – who had previously held a ceremonial role – published a declaration in which he suspended Parliament and instituted temporary personal rule, instructing his son Prince Nathan, the Prime Minister, to draw up plans for reform. This comes after several months of apparent inactivity in the Florenian government.
- On 24 November, an arson attack burnt down the Tower of the Winds, a quarter of the sculpture “Nimis”, one of two over which Ladonia declared independence from Sweden due to planning permission disputes. There have been no claims to responsibility for the attack. Queen Carolyn I promised that “Nimis will be repaired, and grow to be even larger than before… rising like a Phoenix from the ashes.”
- On 27 November, Molossia unveiled a Little Free Library on its north-western border with the US, full of books to be swapped for free by passing readers in Molossia and in the United States.
- On 13 November, Rudno adopted a new theocratic constitution, declaring that it would have no King but Jesus Christ, and renaming the office of Ambict, head of government, to Steward.
- On 12 November, the State Bank of Zealandia announced the creation of a new Zealandian currency, the Credit, pegged to equal value with the Australian dollar.
- On 23 November, Chairwoman Charlotte Lindstrom signed into a law guaranteeing the right of Zealandians to practice “the magickal arts” so long as such are not inconsistent with the law or “good proletarian morals”.
- On 5 October, a meeting of the Chamber of Deputies relocated the capital from Lavrada to Colo, established a Confederal Bank of Delvera, and set up a wage system for government employees.
- On 16 October, Hatsu Aki was sworn in as the new head of state after the resignation of his father in July. The title of the head of state, Daitōryō Daimyō, can be translated as “President-Noble” or “President-Lord”.
- On 29 October, President Kevin Baugh and the Molossian First Family took part in the annual Nevada Day Parade in Carson City for the tenth time. The President met with various Nevadan dignitaries, including the governor and several congressional candidates, most of whom were found to be already aware of Molossia.
SABIA AND VERONA
- On 20 October, Sabia and Verona celebrated four years since its foundation. King Tarik released a statement celebrating the stability of the kingdom.
- On 19 October, Sôgmô Will Soergel celebrated the Sandum holiday of Armilustrium by publishing a playlist on Spotify and conducting a religious ritual.
- On 26 October, the Sôgmô announced a meeting of the Citizen’s Party of Sandus to formulate an official platform for the party, a goal which had previously been intended to have been reached by May earlier this year.
- On 14 October, the Principality of Wildflower Meadows annexed Grosvenor Park, an ornamental Victorian park in the British city of Chester, located directly between the Principality’s existing claims of Chester Meadows and the walled city itself.
- On 26 October, Claire Nymoria was appointed the new Prime Minister of Zealandia by leader Charlotte Lindstrom.
- The week of the first Monday in September has been declared Opera Week, during which all citizens are encouraged to listen to only opera and classical music.
- The abdication of Duke Elias I in favour in Shady Morsi, as reported last month, has been revealed to be a misunderstanding. After several days of mistakenly claiming to be Duke of Campinia, Morsi was offered the position of head of government as Grand Constable by Elias I, which he has accepted.
- On 1 September, NottaLotta Acres was annexed by the Grand Republic of Delvera with the consent of its citizens, having had an entirely stagnant administration for some time. On 21 September, the Empire signed a treaty with Delvera recognising it as a sovereign state and as the sole legitimate successor state of NottaLotta Acres. Many Delveran officials were previously NottaLottan political and military leaders.
- On 4 September, the Grand Duchy of Flandrensis celebrated eight years since its foundation.
- Hatsu Aki, son of previous head of state O-Hatsu Kenji-sama, has been unanimously elected to suceed the latter by the National Senate after his father retired in July. Hatsu Aki is expected to take office in early October.
LEYLANDIISTAN & GURVATA
- On 14 September, the Confederation of Leylandiistan and Gurvata dissolved, ceding its territory to the Republic of Ireland. The Empire had held diplomatic relations with Leylandiistan since January 2014.
- On 17 September, President Kevin Baugh and members of his family appeared in the Dayton Valley Days Parade of Dayton, Nevada, it being the seventh time that Molossia has been represented in the parade.
- On 17 September, King Adam I announced that from henceforth the Kingdom would aim to keep Edmount Island – Überstadt’s original territorial claim, which it initially hoped to one day settle – uninhabited and undisturbed for ecological reasons.
- On 9 May, Gwendolien de Loungville resigned from her post as Minister of Finances & Economy after completing the process of paying back all those who had invested money in the building of the nation, paying off the national debt.
- Over the last weekend of the month, the three political parties of Juclandia held their Congresses in the Palace of the Great National Assembly to elect a new President and General Secretary for each party. Furthermore, it has been announced via MicroWiki that a general election will be held in July or August later this year.
LEYLANDIISTAN & GURVATA
- A new government website has been launched and can be seen here.
- President Baugh has set his nation a goal of having 200 tourists this year, to surpass the average of Nauru, the least-visited member state of the United Nations. As of 22 May, 42 tourists have so far visited Molossia in 2016.
- On 22 May, Sogmo Gaius Soergel announced plans to gradually decentralise the currently absolute power of the monarch.
- On 26 May, Sandus celebrated seven years since its foundation as Sandefreistikhan in 2009.
- On 26 May, the king’s father was replaced as High Chancellor – top judge – by Terrah Perera, who King Adam I described as “thoughtful, studious, and articulate… [and] the most qualified Überstadti for this job.” The king’s father, Baron Ballinger, had to resign due to taking up a ministerial position incompatible with being High Chancellor.
- A new sovereign state, the Principality of Wildflower Meadows, has been founded by Emperor Jonathan I and his unmarried partner Princess Consort Hannah, the latter of whom now reigns as Princess of Wildflower Meadows. The principality claims land in and around the British city of Chester, and the Empire earlier today ratified a treaty of mutual recognition which also gave Wildflower Meadows the status of a protected state of Austenasia.
- On 22 May, a new Constitution was published, with Zealandia now a socialist commonwealth after its latest revolution last month. The new Zealandian Constitution can be read here.
This is the first instalment of a new monthly feature for the Austenasian Times: MicroWorld Newsbites, in which a look will be taken at news stories from around the world of small nations, which are unlikely to be covered by major news networks.
- The fence around the Playing Field – part of which formed Copan’s international boundary with the United Kingdom and with the Grove – has been removed by Sutton Parks Service.
- The Flandrensisian Commonwealth, a diplomatic partnership between Flandrensis, Arkel and Campinia, was dissolved earlier today. The three members of the Commonwealth – which was founded in October 2010 – all claim territory in Antarctica but have populations based in Belgium and the Netherlands. Due to its members sharing a diplomatic policy, a treaty signed in January 2013 by the Empire to formalise its by then four year old friendship with Flandrensis resulted in diplomatic relations being formed with Arkel and Campinia as well. The three nations remain on good terms, but according to Grand Duke Niels of Flandrensis, a renewed focus on environmental matters and a more global diplomatic outlook made the Commonwealth redundant.
- George De Feyter, Minister of Antarctic Environment, has announced “an ambitious programme which aims at alerting all the countries in the world about the dangers of pollution and damaging Antarctica”. A letter will be sent each week to another government, starting with the top ten most polluting countries in the world.
- On 5 April, Molossia welcomed its second native-born citizen, raising its population to 31.
- On 16 April, Molossia celebrated Obscura Day, a worldwide celebration of unique places. A group of sixteen visitors was given a tour of the nation by the President, First Lady, and Chief Constable.
- A change of government structure in Vikesland is being discussed, with more power planned to be transferred to King Christopher to enable more efficient governance.
- Between 11 and 13 April, the former Queen Astrid of Zealandia (also known as Anna Lindstrom) launched a self-coup against her own government, replacing the monarchy with a communist state council of which she is now chairwoman as Charlotte Lindstrom. Known for its instability, Zealandia’s latest revolution has been criticised by other governments. Diplomatic negotiations to update the treaty between Austenasia and Zealandia concerning New South Scotland – of which the monarch of Zealandia was made ex officio governing commissioner – are currently underway.