- On 19 December, the Delveran Ministry of State released a document claiming some half a million square miles of the United States of America around their territorial claims as a “sphere on influence” in which they claimed to have exclusive rights to cultural, military, political, and economic development and expansion along with the US, to the exclusion of any other small nations that may arise.
- On 23 December, King Eran passed a decree ordering the foreign ministry “to resume and expand the diplomatic efforts” of Florenia.
- On 20 December, the state owned media service Scânteia was transitioned into an independent news agency, Telenot, funded but not administered by the government. Reforms were also made to the nation’s public broadcasting service.
- On 21 December, the five citizens of Sandus unanimously voted for the Sôgmô’s reign to continue in the annual solstice election.
- Earlier today, Sôgmô Soergel added two new days to the already famously busy Sandum calendar; African Diaspora Recognition Day on 12 February to reflect on the effects of slavery and imperialism on African people around the world, and Religious Tolerance Day on 24 August to reflect on religious violence.
- On 26 December, Vikesland was hit by a snowstorm which blocked the roads into the small country.
- On 25 December, Princess Hannah appointed her sister, the now Lady Stephanie, as Marchioness of Wandleside, the most recent territorial acquisition of Wildflower Meadows. Two days later, the neighbouring UK had set up security cameras around the Marquessate, although whether or not this was in response to the claim is yet to be seen.
Emperor Jonathan I and Princess Consort Hannah yesterday held an engagement party in Wallington.
The couple had announced that they had become engaged to be married on 5 September earlier this year.
The party was held at the Trinity Centre in Wallington.
Emperor Father Terry led the toasts towards the end of the night, and a large buffet was available.
The party was attended by the entire population of Greater Wrythe, members and friends of the extended Imperial Family, family and friends of the Princess Consort, and dignitaries such as the ex-Emperor Esmond III and Wildflowerian nobility.
Christmas has been celebrated by the extended Austenasian Imperial Family over the past few days.
Christmas Day (Sunday 25th) begun with the immediate Imperial Family opening presents in Parliament Hall, then joining the population of Zephyria and the Boxall family (the relatives of Emperor Mother Margaret) for a morning service at Carshalton Methodist Church. Emperor Jonathan I spent the rest of the day with his fiancée Princess Consort Hannah at her house, while the rest of the Imperial Family spent the day at the Boxalls’ house.
Emperor Jonathan I released his Christmas broadcast on YouTube, which can be heard here.
On Boxing Day (Monday 26th), the Imperial Family hosted the Boxalls and Princess Consort Hannah in the Imperial Residence for the afternoon and evening. A buffet was provided and parlour games enjoyed.
Finally, yesterday (Tuesday 27th), the Princess Consort again joined the Imperial Family as they hosted the Allens, family friends of the Imperial Family, for an evening meal.
The Austenasian Times hopes all its readers have had a Merry Christmas, and wishes you all a happy 2017.
[Disclaimer: The Austenasian Times does not by publishing this article recognise the claim of Thomas of Zenrax to imperial rank.]
ROSEWOOD – King Adam of Überstadt is the 25th Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational after winning half the vote in a three-way race. He assumed office on 25 December at 00:01 UTC, relieving Acting Chair Jonathan I of Austenasia.
Adam received nine of 18 votes, with three member-states not voting. King Eden of Edenopolis placed second with six votes, and Emperor Thomas of Zenrax came in third with three votes. Seven votes were sufficient to guarantee victory, which Adam attained two days into the week-long voting period.
Eden found some of his strongest support among younger members, while nations often counted among the so-called “old guard” of the MicroWiki community tended to favor Adam. Such preferences were not without exception. Paravia, Roseland, and Shorewell, all founded since 2014, voted for the winner. The new chair will still face a generational gap in the organization, and will have to avoid…
View original post 29 more words
An Act of Parliament was passed this morning which ceded some areas of New Richmond to the United States of America whilst annexing some to it back from the USA.
North New Richmond and the western half of Saint Josephsburg were ceded to the USA, while two new areas of land were annexed to New Richmond. These two new areas are yet to be named by its town council.
As a result of these changes, New Richmond (and therefore the Empire as a whole) has made a net gain of roughly 23,895 square feet and a net loss of one resident.
New Richmond is set to gain the status of a city on 9 January next year, meaning that they will elect a Mayor in their next local election.
The Empire revoked recognition of the Principality of Monovia today after over five years of close diplomatic relations.
Monovia yesterday renounced its claim to independent statehood, leading to an Imperial Decree being published earlier this evening which revoked recognition of the principality.
Monovia – formerly known as Adjikistan and as Libertas – had been a protected state of Austenasia since October 2011, with the Empire responsible for its defence.
Situated near the British city of Sheffield, Monovia’s leader, Harry Fitzpatrick, held the rank of Caesar between August 2012 and June 2016.
This leaves Austenasia with three protectorates: Orly, Wilcsland, and Wildflower Meadows.
The Austenasian capital of Wrythe yesterday saw its second tourist visit.
His Imperial Majesty Emperor Jonathan I met Mike Lewis at Carshalton railway station, from which he gave him a guided tour of the Carshalton Nations which concluded at Wrythe.
Princess Consort Hannah joined the Emperor and Mr Lewis towards the end of the tour.
Mr Lewis was shown Orly, the site of Rushymia and the Midget Empire, and Muschamp Alley, all sites which are relevant to the Carshalton Nations and their history, with the Emperor giving commentary as they went.
They then walked to Wrythe, where – by this point joined by Princess Consort Hannah – the tour concluded with lunch.
At the Imperial Residence in Wrythe, Mr Lewis met with Emperor Father Terry, Emperor Mother Margaret, Crown Princess Caroline and imperial pets Edd and Rosie.
He was also shown various documents and artefacts of historical interest, presented with a gift of an Austenasian postcard, and signed a guestbook newly acquired for the Imperial Residence.
This is the second time a tourist has visited Wrythe, the first having been Jonny Blair in March last year.